Venezuela

Violence breaks out on Venezuela border with Brazil

Venezuelan soldiers opened fire on a group of civilians attempting to keep open a segment of the southern border with Brazil for deliveries of humanitarian aid, causing multiple injuries and the first fatalities of a massive opposition operation meant to deliver international relief to this devastated South American country, according to eyewitnesses and community leaders.

'Rejection of Rowley's Govt' - Venezuela's National Assembly deputy

The Deputy to the Venezuelan National Assembly, Carlos Valero is making his position clear, that the National Assembly rejects the treatment of Venezuelans in Trinidad and Tobago and the Dr Keith Rowley government because of its recognition of the Nicolas Maduro regime.

Last week, Valero issued a statement which seemed to praise the government for the way it handled the situation involving 19 girls who were rescued from sex traffickers.

But Valero issued a statement Monday, saying that his original statement might have been misinterpreted by the Trinidad and Tobago media.

Maduro asks OPEC for help as US sanctions bite

Venezuela's Nicolas Maduro has sought OPEC support against U.S. sanctions imposed on his country's oil industry, citing their impact on oil prices and potential risks for other members of the producer group.

But a source familiar with the matter said the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, of which Venezuela is a founding member, had declined to make any formal statement. OPEC says it is concerned with oil policy, not politics.

32 illegal immigrants arrested in Penal

32 illegal immigrants have been arrested by Police after being found in Penal.
Police say Officers from the South Western Division and Immigration Division were conducting an exercise. They held seven persons at a house in Suchit Trace, Penal, while 23 others were discovered in a Penal bar. Police say 31 out of the 32 held were Venezuelan Nationals, while one is from Guyana. Nine persons were given notices and allowed to leave, while the others are being held. Police say three persons were also arrested for gaming machine offences. Investigations are ongoing.

 

Rescued Venezuelan girls in ‘safe houses’

The 19 Span­ish-speak­ing girls who were res­cued by po­lice on Wednes­day dur­ing raids at a Chi­nese restau­rant in Wood­brook and homes in Diego Mar­tin and West­moor­ings have all been placed at an undis­closed lo­ca­tion rather than the Im­mi­gra­tion De­ten­tion Cen­tre (IDC) which lacks space.

Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Min­is­ter Stu­art Young made the dis­clo­sure at yes­ter­day’s post-Cab­i­net me­dia brief­ing at the Diplo­mat­ic Cen­tre, St Ann’s.

Venezuelan politician thanks gov't for rescuing girls

One Venezuelan politician is thanking the government of this country after more than a dozen Venezuelan girls were rescued yesterday.

Deputy Carlos Valero, who is a member of the foreign policy commission of the national assembly, posted the message to his Twitter page this morning.

He described it as one of the most serious cases recorded by Venezuelan migrants in Trinidad and Tobago.

Kidnapped fishermen released

Five of the fishermen reportedly abducted by Venezuelan pirates have returned to this country after more than a week

Early this morning 35-year-old Lynton Manohar, 38-year-old Jason O'Brien, 28-year-old Brandon Arjoon, 17-year-old Jagdesh jaikeran and 49-year-old Rickey Rambharose, all of Morne Diablo, Penal came back to Trinidad on a pirogue. 

 A US 200 thousand dollars ransom had been demanded for their safe return. 

O'Brien's brother Jerry who was also kidnapped along with the others was sent back home last Thursday with an instruction to pay the ransom. 

Pages