Six months ago, Alberto Carrillo left his wife and three children in Venezuela to come to this country in search of work.
Carrillo got a job as a loader on an ice delivery truck and was making deliveries in Manzanilla last Friday when he was knocked down by a car and killed.
Carrillo’s local co-worker, who witnessed the incident, who only identified himself as Mitra, said that around 6 pm they stopped along the Manzanilla-Mayaro Road for Carrillo to urinate.
Five suspects are now in police custody following swift investigative work by the police service to rescue a 23-year-old Venezuelan National who was reported kidnapped from the Chaguanas district, on July 29th 2018.
According to police reports, a friend of the victim made a report to the Chaguanas Police Station, around 9:00 am, on the 1st August 2018, about the alleged kidnapping, after demands were made for information on the whereabouts of two individuals over money, in exchange for her safe return.
National Security Minister Edmund Dillon says it appears that the three fishermen who were captured by the Guardia National and taken to Venezuela, do not appear as though they want to come back home at this time.
He told today's post-Cabinet media conference that the Government has been making all effort for their safe return but that the men do not seem to want to accept it.
"I have a sense that there is no urgency. I have a sense that they are comfortable. It is up to them when they are ready to come home," he told the media.
A 21-year-old Venezuelan woman, who was wounded in an alleged shoot-out with police in Diego Martin last week, has appeared in court charged with firearm and ammunition possession.
Monika Jerez-Gonzalez, a law student, was not called upon to plead to the charges when she appeared before Magistrate Rehanna Hosein in the Port-of-Spain Magistrates’ court less than 24 hours after she was discharged from hospital.
Jerez-Gonzalez was charged with being in possession of a Smith and Wesson .38 pistol and a quantity of ammunition.
A Venezuelan national exected to appear in court today charged with possession of ammunition.
The following is a press release from the TTPS:
A Venezuelan national is expected to appear before a San Fernando Magistrate today, charged with possession of a quantity of ammunition.
Five Venezuelans were among six people arrested by police following an anti-crime exercise in South Trinidad.
The following is a statement by the TTPS:
Five Venezuelan nationals, were among six persons arrested and two revolvers and ammunition seized, by officers of the Central Division Task Force, during an anti-crime exercise in the Penal district, this morning.
Unable to get food to feed his three children as his country remains in turmoil, a Venezuelan man sneaked into the country on a boat to buy food, but was caught and charged for entering the country illegally.
After Luis Benitez, 34, explained his situation yesterday, San Fernando Fourth Court Magistrate Indira Missir-Gosine gave him a chance and reprimanded and discharged him. This means that no conviction will be recorded against him.
The charge laid by Cpl Howard alleged that on Friday April 21 he illegally entered T&T.