Education Minister Anthony Garcia has accused the media of sensationalizing a fracas at the Valencia High School earlier this week.
In an interview at his ministry yesterday, Garcia claimed that reports, which alleged that teachers had locked themselves in classrooms during the incident, were untrue based on a report he received from the school’s principal.
“The report did not for one moment or for one line indicate that teachers had to lock themselves in. That was sensationalizing the issue. That is one of the problems I have,” Garcia said.
The Ministry of Education says a recent viral video of abuse at the Bethlehem Girls' RC School is over a year old and has been dealt with.
The Ministry issued the following statement today:
"The Ministry of Education has investigated and found that the video being circulated on Social Media of a fight at the Bethlehem Girls’ RC School is over one year old.
Facebook Inc. will hire 3,000 people around the world to monitor videos and posts for violent or criminal acts, and potentially prevent tragedies from occurring.
The social-media site has faced calls to do more, and respond faster, after a murder and a suicide were recently shown live. The new employees, who will be added over the next year, will join 4,500 people already on Facebook’s content moderation force.
A 23-year-old man appeared in the Scarborough Magistrates’ Court, on Wednesday 5th April, 2017, charged with robbery with violence.
Okira Holder, 23, of Bacolet, Scarborough, was arrested and charged on Monday 3rd April, 2017, for robbery with violence, against 37-year-old Kirby Clement.
The charge was laid by WPC Marcelle.
Clement was beaten and robbed of his vehicle, a cellular phone and a quantity of cash, by four men, in Mason Hall, on Monday 27th March, 2017.
The matter was postponed to Wednesday 3rd May, 2017.